- -30- then and now (8/22/18)2
- Meet Mable at Mable's Cafe in Chaffee (8/20/18)
- Willow Grove Rockets Skate Club (8/15/18)
- Central Municipal Pool built in 1979 (8/13/18)
- Hecht's Store founder returns to Main street (8/8/18)
- Land acquired to build SEMO Port (8/6/18)
- St. Vincent's Seminary ends after 136 years (8/1/18)
I took this picture six years ago on the original Snake Hill Road before Cape Special Road District crews straightened much of it in 2004.
Built in the 1930s, the stretch of West Cape Rock Drive deserved its reptilian nickname, as it began winding back and forth from near the city limits to its intersection with Old Sprigg Street.
The road was the scene of numerous accidents over the years, especially during wet and slick weather. It was a landmark-versus-safety issue.
A 10-year-old would remember the way it used to be. It was a place to drive for a cheap thrill, preferably in the daytime during good weather.
I took these pictures recently that show Snake Hill Road without its bite: