- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)8
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)33
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)11
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
County should listen to findings of its consultant
To the editor:
Was it just me, or did Gerald Jones' comments about the independent study regarding the need for a new juvenile facility seem hypocritical?
"If all she is going to be is critical of the facility, then we have wasted our money," the Cape Girardeau County presiding commissioner said about the consultant hired by the county.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the sole purpose of hiring an independent consultant, at the cost of $61,000, to get an honest opinion as to whether a new facility is needed? So now the results are coming in, and it isn't what Jones wants to hear. Now he is trying to discredit the consultant. His comment about "her first rattle out of the box" was condescending. I am disgusted. Give the county employees the facilities and tools they need to safely do their jobs.