- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Sands Pancake House moving to Morgan Oak location (8/11/17)1
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Cape movie theater to feature recliners, new food and drink options (8/11/17)3
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
County should listen to findings of its consultant
To the editor:
Was it just me, or did Gerald Jones' comments about the independent study regarding the need for a new juvenile facility seem hypocritical?
"If all she is going to be is critical of the facility, then we have wasted our money," the Cape Girardeau County presiding commissioner said about the consultant hired by the county.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the sole purpose of hiring an independent consultant, at the cost of $61,000, to get an honest opinion as to whether a new facility is needed? So now the results are coming in, and it isn't what Jones wants to hear. Now he is trying to discredit the consultant. His comment about "her first rattle out of the box" was condescending. I am disgusted. Give the county employees the facilities and tools they need to safely do their jobs.