- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)31
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Police capture escapee missing for 10 days
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- Police have recaptured a convict who escaped earlier this month from a van as he was being transported to a correctional facility in Fulton.
Larry Drew Jacques, 40, eluded authorities for 10 days before he was captured Saturday night in Springfield after ramming a police car with his car as he attempted to flee.
Jacques was not shackled or handcuffed Dec. 18 when he unlocked the van's door as it was slowing to a stop at a Springfield intersection. The Webster County Sheriff's Department was transporting Jacques and four other prisoners for three area counties. Jacques was to begin serving a 15-year sentence for armed robbery.
Jacques fought off one deputy, injuring him slightly, before escaping into a residential neighborhood.
The four other inmates stayed in the van and did not try to escape.