- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
- Police: Man grabbed wheel, tried to kill driver and himself in Jackson crash (6/23/17)
- Jackson scores high in survey of residents; better streets, Aldi are high priorities (6/20/17)4
- Cape man stabbed in head, arm after strip-club incident; skull fractured, police say (6/25/17)3
- Marble Hill mayor hires city manager without board approval (6/21/17)3
- Annual SEMO District Fair event lineup announced (6/23/17)1
- Two charged in theft of jewelry from Cape storage facility (6/23/17)1
- Oran town board fired officer before hiring him as police chief; city officials say they can't remember reason for firing (6/25/17)3
- Library provides free lunches this summer (6/19/17)
- Jackson School District giving away bricks from 'Old A' building (6/23/17)2
Christians must choose whom they will serve
To the editor:
A Speak Out comment said, "We are our own worst enemy" with reference to the lack of strong biblical teaching.
The apostle Paul warned the young evangelist Timothy of this problem 1,950 years ago: "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths." -- II Timothy 4:3-4.
This very same problem, lack of knowledge, led to the destruction of the Israelites.
The movement in our nation to be politically correct has led to the unjust criticism of Christians who stand for the truth. We are criticized for doing the very same thing others are doing. We are accused of being intolerant of those who are intolerant of us. There is only one standard, the Word of God. Paul warned the Corinthians about using the wrong standard.
Christians must heed the words of Joshua: "Now, therefore, fear the Lord and serve him in sincerity and truth and put away the gods which your fathers served beyond the river and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. If it is disagreeable in your sight to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served which were beyond the river, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living; but as for me and my house we will serve the Lord." -- Joshua 24:14-15.
Jackson Church of Christ