- Pilot House goes smoke-free (4/23/17)10
- Without city record, Marie Street residents on hook for thousands in sewer repairs (4/19/17)7
- Event includes the first public tour of 200-year-old Elmwood Manor (4/23/17)3
- BBB warns Jackson man's online business might not be legit (4/24/17)
- Few Southeast students face suspension, expulsion for sexual assaults, campus paper finds (4/25/17)5
- Man out on bond for alleged molestation of boys charged with abusing girl (4/18/17)
- Cape councilman Bob Fox to run for mayor (4/21/17)5
- Woman battered after smashing boyfriend's meth pipe against wall, police say (4/25/17)
- Deputy: Man kicked, broke uncle's ribs after yard-work dispute (4/19/17)
- Sikeston man charged in shooting death of Cape man (4/23/17)
Look for yourself, let conscience be your guide
To the editor:
Each day the news media bombard us with slanted views. We know the saying about two sides to every story, but investigating the other side seems too difficult and time-consuming. Besides, we prefer plausible deniability.
Americans make a personal choice to turn a blind eye to what is happening in the world around us. If we don't acknowledge it, it isn't there. Right? Wrong. The killing, the poverty and the injustice are still there. We just prefer not to know about it.
In our hearts, we know that President Bush's plan will kill thousands of innocent Iraqi people. Those thousands are someone's children just like ours. They are loved. They have families. Take a moment to let that sink in. Children will die to provide you with gas for your SUV. The earth will be devastated and lives torn apart for you. Is that what you want? Are material possessions and your own personal comfort and convenience worth more to you than another human life? Innocent people should not be needlessly slaughtered while we, as U.S. citizens who still have the freedom to dissent, do nothing.
I encourage the people of Cape Girardeau to stand up for what is right. Investigate for yourself, then let your conscience be your guide. Tell Bush: No war with Iraq.