- New custody law for equal time for dads begins today; some question law's relevance (8/28/16)5
- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- 'Santa' suspect Moffat sentenced to 12 years for sexual abuse of girl (8/23/16)2
- Schnucks bans solicitors, including organizations like Salvation Army (8/24/16)38
- Jackson girl stays planted on the farm (8/28/16)2
- Court ruling, state suggest businesses may apply use, sales tax to deliveries (8/24/16)2
Look for yourself, let conscience be your guide
To the editor:
Each day the news media bombard us with slanted views. We know the saying about two sides to every story, but investigating the other side seems too difficult and time-consuming. Besides, we prefer plausible deniability.
Americans make a personal choice to turn a blind eye to what is happening in the world around us. If we don't acknowledge it, it isn't there. Right? Wrong. The killing, the poverty and the injustice are still there. We just prefer not to know about it.
In our hearts, we know that President Bush's plan will kill thousands of innocent Iraqi people. Those thousands are someone's children just like ours. They are loved. They have families. Take a moment to let that sink in. Children will die to provide you with gas for your SUV. The earth will be devastated and lives torn apart for you. Is that what you want? Are material possessions and your own personal comfort and convenience worth more to you than another human life? Innocent people should not be needlessly slaughtered while we, as U.S. citizens who still have the freedom to dissent, do nothing.
I encourage the people of Cape Girardeau to stand up for what is right. Investigate for yourself, then let your conscience be your guide. Tell Bush: No war with Iraq.