- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Couple without nearby relatives needs help
Mr. and Mrs. S have outlived their children and likely will spend Christmas Day without their grandchildren visiting.
The couple live a distance from any relatives, and often are left to themselves during the holidays. They rent their home, so they do have some living expenses. Social Security and disability payments are their only sources of income.
Both have poor eyesight. Mr. S is diabetic and must have insulin every day. Mrs. S has severe arthritis. Both have high blood pressure.
They have asked Christmas for the Elderly for some long-sleeved flannel shirts in any color, some long underwear and boxer shorts both in size 42 to 44.
Mrs. S would like some gift certificates to purchase new clothes, body wash, Ensure supplement drinks and single-serve puddings.
They could use gift certificates for pharmacies or grocery stores. Stamps also would make good gifts.
The Cape Girardeau County Public Health Center, Missouri Division of Senior Services and Hoover Eldercare Center refer clients to Christmas for the Elderly, a program that relies on community donations.
The Southeast Missourian will collect gifts for Christmas for the Elderly at its Cape Girardeau and Jackson offices.
Tax-deductible donations may be mailed to Christmas for the Elderly, P.O. Box 4, Cape Girardeau, Mo. 63702-0004.