- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)30
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)8
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
Marine recruit dies during training
SAN DIEGO -- A 19-year-old Marine recruit died after complaining of chest pains during a water-survival training exercise, officials said.
Pvt. Samuel J. Bruss of Kenosha, Wis., had just left a pool at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot Thursday when he told a duty corpsman he was having chest pains, the Marines said. He was pronounced dead at a hospital. An autopsy was planned.
Buss was on his 27th day of the 12-week training program.
His death is the second at the depot in less than three weeks. On Nov. 23, 18-year-old Pvt. Neal Edwards IV of St. Clair, Mo., collapsed after negotiating an obstacle course during physical training. Autopsy results were pending.
The two men were part of the same company of about 350 recruits. It was "too early to tell" whether there was any link between the deaths, Lt. Mike Friel said.