- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)9
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)2
- 'I want to see how far I can go' (7/21/16)2
- Southeast Missouri State football players, local police team up for Backstoppers benefit (7/22/16)2
Mr. U would like clothing, groceries, household items
Mr. U was injured in an automobile accident that left him confined to a wheelchair. The accident also forced him out of work.
Mr. U lives on his disability check and receives some help from Medicaid.
He is diabetic, has arthritis and is a paraplegic, so his medical expenses are great.
He could use some gift certificates to pharmacies or discount and grocery stores this Christmas.
Also, he would like some size 2 extra-large sweaters in any color.
His other requests were for groceries and canned goods.
Christmas for the Elderly is a program of the Cape Girardeau Jaycees and the Southeast Missourian that provides some gifts and household extras for the area's needy senior citizens.
The Cape Girardeau County Public Health Center, Missouri Division of Senior Services and Hoover Eldercare Center refer clients to the program, which has been helping senior citizens for 18 years.
Gifts of sweat suits in a variety of sizes and colors, slippers and bath robes, bath towels and dish cloths, cleaning supplies and paper goods will benefit all recipients in the program. Stamps, fruit baskets and gift certificates also make good gifts.
The Southeast Missourian will collect gifts for Christmas for the Elderly at its Cape Girardeau and Jackson offices.
Tax-deductible donations may be mailed to Christmas for the Elderly, P.O. Box 4, Cape Girardeau, Mo. 63702-0004.