Man charged after son drinks meth chemicals

Friday, December 13, 2002

CARTHAGE, Mo. -- A southwest Missouri man has been charged with murder after his 11-month-old son died from drinking chemicals authorities say were leftover from a methamphetamine cook.

Zarrin Doubet had Coleman fuel, commonly used for camping, and other substances in his system when he died Sept. 23, Jasper County Prosecutor Dean Dankelson said Thursday.

His father, Dennis Doubet, 33, of Carthage was charged Wednesday with second-degree murder and creating a controlled substance.

Numerous searches of the home and surrounding buildings confirmed narcotic activity was occurring at the home on a regular basis, authorities said.

No charges have been filed against the child's mother, Maranda Doubet.

Two other children, ages 9 and 2, were taken from the home the day Zarrin died. They remained in Division of Family Services for permanent placement in another home.

If convicted, Doubet faces a maximum of life in prison on the murder charge and seven years on the drug charge, Dankelson said. He was free on $25,000 bond.

"This is the first death that we know of a child (in this situation) and that is sadly significant," Veach said.

A Joplin woman pleaded guilty last year to endangering a child after her 14-year-old daughter mistakenly drank a chemical solvent used in the production of methamphetamine. The girl, who believed the liquid was water, was treated immediately and recovered.

"If parents are doing drugs in the presence of their kids, they are not good parents. It doesn't matter if you are fooling yourself, you are wrong," Veach said.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: