- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)5
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)2
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)33
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)12
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
- Cape police warn of 'Grandparent Scam' (12/4/16)
Woman dies in Leaning Tower plunge
ROME -- An Italian woman plunged to her death from the Leaning Tower of Pisa on Wednesday in an apparent suicide carried out before horrified tourists, police said.
The woman, 61, came from the hamlet of San Giuliano, near Pisa, authorities said.
The woman bought a visitor's ticket and left her purse and identity documents in a locker. After climbing to the highest tier of the 180-foot tall monument, the woman jumped, police said.
The woman had been suffering from an illness for a long time, police said. They declined to release her name or specify her illness.
The monument was reopened to the public a year ago after a decade-long project to reverse some of its tilt.