- New custody law for equal time for dads begins today; some question law's relevance (8/28/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Former alt-rock frontwoman tells how she found Christianity (8/29/16)2
- Jackson girl stays planted on the farm (8/28/16)2
- Schnucks bans solicitors, including organizations like Salvation Army (8/24/16)38
- Newsmakers 2016: Liz Glastetter (8/15/16)
- Court ruling, state suggest businesses may apply use, sales tax to deliveries (8/24/16)2
- Scott City School District introduces new preschool program (8/26/16)1
Woman dies in Leaning Tower plunge
ROME -- An Italian woman plunged to her death from the Leaning Tower of Pisa on Wednesday in an apparent suicide carried out before horrified tourists, police said.
The woman, 61, came from the hamlet of San Giuliano, near Pisa, authorities said.
The woman bought a visitor's ticket and left her purse and identity documents in a locker. After climbing to the highest tier of the 180-foot tall monument, the woman jumped, police said.
The woman had been suffering from an illness for a long time, police said. They declined to release her name or specify her illness.
The monument was reopened to the public a year ago after a decade-long project to reverse some of its tilt.