- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)8
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)14
- Pincksten's newest renovation project: 328 S. Spanish St. (7/17/16)6
- Trooper-involved homicide case rests in prosecutor's hands (7/17/16)15
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)1
- 'I want to see how far I can go' (7/21/16)2
Woman dies in Leaning Tower plunge
ROME -- An Italian woman plunged to her death from the Leaning Tower of Pisa on Wednesday in an apparent suicide carried out before horrified tourists, police said.
The woman, 61, came from the hamlet of San Giuliano, near Pisa, authorities said.
The woman bought a visitor's ticket and left her purse and identity documents in a locker. After climbing to the highest tier of the 180-foot tall monument, the woman jumped, police said.
The woman had been suffering from an illness for a long time, police said. They declined to release her name or specify her illness.
The monument was reopened to the public a year ago after a decade-long project to reverse some of its tilt.