- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
More gifts needed to fill Toybox requests
Have you made out your Christmas list for Santa?
Area needy children have, and with community donations they could receive gifts delivered by some of Santa's helpers this Christmas.
More than 450 children have made requests for toys and gifts through Toybox, a joint program of the Southeast Missourian and Cape Girardeau Jaycees that provides toys to needy children.
But donations are low and more gifts are needed to fill all the requests.
Jaycees will sort the toys that are to be delivered Dec. 19 by Jaycee members dressed as Santas.
These children have made simple requests for toys like games, puzzles, educational books, Legos and blocks, Barbie dolls, sports equipment.
Many know that the gifts Toybox brings are the only ones they will receive this year.
Other children want specialty toys like Dora the Explorer, the Powerpuff Girls, Scooby-Doo, Spider-Man and Harry Potter accessories.
Toybox relies on donations for its gifts but does use monetary contributions to fill special requests.
New, unused toys can be dropped off at the Southeast Missourian offices in Cape Girardeau and Jackson, AAA Travel Agency, First National Bank, First Missouri State Bank, Bank of America, Sanders True Value, Bank of Missouri, Capaha Bank, Cingular Wireless, Union Planters Bank, Alliance Bank, Toys R Us, Commerce Bank, Westfield Shoppingtown West Park, US Bank and Wehrenberg Theatres.
Tax-deductible contributions should be mailed to Toybox Trust, P.O. Box 4, Cape Girardeau, Mo. 63702-0004.