- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)8
- Obama shortens sentence of inmate from Cape (1/19/17)9
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Area hospitals hope a box helps prevent infant deaths (1/19/17)6
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)14
- Meat-processing plant faces $70K penalty for Clean Water Act violations (1/17/17)4
- Southeast to lose $3.5 million from state in budget cuts (1/18/17)21
- Subjects of interest in 1992 killing take polygraph tests; results not revealed (1/18/17)2
- Governor cuts $146 million, colleges take hit (1/17/17)
- Southern Bank announces merger with Capaha Bank (1/15/17)
Missing teenager found dead
CONWAY, Ark. -- A 13-year-old girl who disappeared from her home this week was found dead in a storage unit, along with the body of a California man believed to have abducted her.
The bodies of Kacie Rene Woody and 47-year-old David Fuller were found Wednesday after police went to the storage facility on a tip and heard a shot ring out.
Kacie and Fuller both suffered gunshot wounds; police believe the shot that was heard was Fuller committing suicide. Montgomery said officers did not fire their weapons.
Kacie had been reported missing Tuesday
"We tried desperately to get Miss Woody back to her family safe, but we were unable," Faulkner County Sheriff Marty Montgomery said.
Autopsy results pending
Autopsy results were pending. Police Maj. Mark Elsinger said police suspect the girl was sexually assaulted.
Authorities believe Kacie met Fuller in an Internet chat room about a month ago and that he likely deceived her into believing he was much younger.
Her brother reported her missing from their home in rural Holland, about 30 miles north of Little Rock. The children's father, a police officer in a nearby town, was at work at the time. Their mother died five years ago.
Officers suspected the girl was kidnapped because she left the home without any shoes.
The FBI was looking at similar crimes for possible links to Fuller. Fuller had lived in the San Diego suburb of La Mesa before coming to Arkansas in November, and police there were preparing to help federal agents serve a search warrant on a residence.