- Waller deemed competent to stand trial (1/11/17)5
- Young Elvis impersonator from Bernie performs on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' (1/12/17)
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)7
- 113 drug tests at Jackson High net one instance of illicit usage (1/11/17)15
- Two men shot after argument; houses also struck by bullets (1/12/17)21
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)14
- Two Cape men recovering after shooting (1/13/17)
- Imo's Pizza will be added to Rhodes 101 convenience store in Jackson (1/10/17)16
- Wallingford proposes bill to collect sales taxes on online purchases (1/11/17)30
Downtown merchants' open house tonight
A special event involving two dozen merchants is expected to bring holiday shoppers to Cape Girardeau's downtown tonight. It is the Downtown Christmas Open House from 6 to 9 p.m. Participating merchants will not only stay open late, but they will create a holiday atmosphere for everyone.
It's a historical event because it has been a long time since downtown was open for retail business at night.
Refreshments will be served. There will be carolers, photos with Santa Claus, buggy rides and drawings for door prizes.
Every shopper who visits downtown during the open house will have an opportunity to qualify for a $2,000 shopping spree. Each entry sheet must be stamped by at least 12 of the 24 participating merchants. This special drawing will be held at 5:30 p.m. Monday at the Main Street clock.
Be sure to stop in for a visit at these participating downtown merchants: Renaissance, Ye Ole House, Port Cape Girardeau, Mollie's Cafe & Bar, Bella Italia Ristorante, Brick Street Gallery, Dockside Consignments, C.P. McGinty Jewelers, Jayson Jewelers, Zickfield Jewelers, My Daddy's Cheesecake, Kids Wear Again, Brown's Shoe Fit, Lang Jewelers, Hale's Fine Jewelry, Hecht's Store, Hecht's Woman, Annie Em's, Hutson's Fine Furniture, Royal N'Orleans Restaurant, Broussard's Cajun Cuisine, Shivelbine's Music Store, Bob's Shoe Service and Patricia Ann's.
The Southeast Missourian, sponsor of tonight's open house, also will be open as a gesture of our support.