- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Siblings hope for Pokemon, action figures, dolls
Three children whose parents are separated left home without any toys, and now they won't have anything to play with unless they receive gifts this Christmas from Toybox.
Toybox is a joint program of the Southeast Missourian and Cape Girardeau Jaycees that relies on donations to provide gifts to needy children up to age 12.
The children are 8-year-old Kyle, 5-year-old Christian and 3-year-old Jaycie. Kyle likes Pokemon, and any toys or games with those characters are on his holiday wish list, his mother says.
Christian likes swords and could use some new toys like balls, action figures and games. His sister, 5, is a fan of Barbie dolls, and she wants a new doll and some accessories for Christmas.
Donations of new, unused toys are being collected at Southeast Missourian offices in Cape Girardeau and Jackson, AAA Travel Agency, First National Bank, First Missouri State Bank, Bank of America, Sanders True Value, Bank of Missouri, Capaha Bank, Cingular Wireless, Union Planters Bank, Alliance Bank, Toys R Us, Commerce Bank, Westfield Shoppingtown West Park, U.S. Bank and Wehrenberg Theatres.
Applications for the Toybox program are being accepted through Friday at the Salvation Army office, 701 Good Hope. Applicants must provide a Social Security number for each child listed and proof of residence. Applications are accepted between 10 a.m. and noon and 1 to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Tax-deductible contributions can be mailed to Toybox Trust at P.O. Box 4, Cape Girardeau, Mo. 63702-0004.