- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Gunman surrenders, releases hostages
LONDON -- A gunman holding four employees hostage at a bank in central London on Thursday surrendered after a two-hour standoff with police.
The unidentified suspect was taken into custody by police, who had surrounded the HSBC bank on Buckingham Palace Road, just 300 yards from Scotland Yard.
Nobody was injured in the standoff, which police said appeared to be a robbery attempt. A second man who was believed to be part of the robbery attempt was arrested earlier outside the bank.
Police told The Associated Press that four staff members were in the building at the time.
A wide area around the bank was cordoned off, causing a huge traffic snarl in the city center.