- Say Cheese: The story behind the famous sandwiches at the East Perry Fair (9/22/17)
- Anne Limbaugh dies, leaves legacy of caring (9/22/17)
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Former football players provide leadership training at middle school (9/24/17)
- New businesses popping up all over Cape Girardeau (9/24/17)1
- Cape Girardeau native Jessica Johnston to compete as castaway on 'Survivor' season 35 (9/24/17)
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- Former major-league slugger Darryl Strawberry to speak at La Croix (9/20/17)
- Scott City officials, others oppose plan for railroad-tie treatment plant (9/25/17)5
- Young entrepreneurs add fresh ideas, unique offerings for area market (9/18/17)
Gunman surrenders, releases hostages
LONDON -- A gunman holding four employees hostage at a bank in central London on Thursday surrendered after a two-hour standoff with police.
The unidentified suspect was taken into custody by police, who had surrounded the HSBC bank on Buckingham Palace Road, just 300 yards from Scotland Yard.
Nobody was injured in the standoff, which police said appeared to be a robbery attempt. A second man who was believed to be part of the robbery attempt was arrested earlier outside the bank.
Police told The Associated Press that four staff members were in the building at the time.
A wide area around the bank was cordoned off, causing a huge traffic snarl in the city center.