- Few Southeast students face suspension, expulsion for sexual assaults, campus paper finds (4/25/17)6
- Perryville family organizing bone-marrow drive Friday for ailing 6-year-old boy (4/26/17)
- Woman battered after smashing boyfriend's meth pipe against wall, police say (4/25/17)1
- Pilot House goes smoke-free (4/23/17)10
- Temptations bassist dies after Cape Girardeau show (4/26/17)2
- Event includes the first public tour of 200-year-old Elmwood Manor (4/23/17)3
- BBB warns Jackson man's online business might not be legit (4/24/17)
- Cape couple turns their home into cozy, comfortable music venue (4/24/17)
- State Supreme Court rules against congressman's mother in dog-kennel defamation case (4/27/17)1
- Sikeston man charged in shooting death of Cape man (4/23/17)
Man convicted for planning rape of girl who never existed
HUTCHINSON, Kan. -- A man was convicted of attempted rape for planning to assault a nonexistent 10-year-old girl who was imagined in an effort to break up a child pornography ring.
Prosecutors said Steven Peterman, 44, believed the child was real and that he intended to commit the crime.
Peterman was convicted Wednesday of attempted rape, solicitation to commit rape and sexual exploitation of a child. He faces 11 years in prison at his sentencing Dec. 27.
Authorities said a woman Peterman met in a bar made up the girl to help break up a child pornography ring.