- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)9
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)2
- 'I want to see how far I can go' (7/21/16)2
- Southeast Missouri State football players, local police team up for Backstoppers benefit (7/22/16)2
Man convicted for planning rape of girl who never existed
HUTCHINSON, Kan. -- A man was convicted of attempted rape for planning to assault a nonexistent 10-year-old girl who was imagined in an effort to break up a child pornography ring.
Prosecutors said Steven Peterman, 44, believed the child was real and that he intended to commit the crime.
Peterman was convicted Wednesday of attempted rape, solicitation to commit rape and sexual exploitation of a child. He faces 11 years in prison at his sentencing Dec. 27.
Authorities said a woman Peterman met in a bar made up the girl to help break up a child pornography ring.