- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Neighbors mystified over why man was killed by state trooper (05/03/16)22
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- 'American Pickers' visits Poplar Bluff (04/29/16)
Charity run/walk to lead Christmas Parade of Lights
The Cape Road Runners and The Southeast Missourian are once again teaming up to sponsor a charity one mile run/walk for the local Toybox program.
The run/walk will lead the Downtown Merchants' Christmas Parade of Lights to be held Sunday. Toybox provides needy families with new toys for children ages one through 12.
"This will be the biggest crowd lining the entire race course that runners can experience in our area," said Kim McDowell, run/walk director. "Hundreds of parade watchers will be cheering the racers. We will present the finish awards immediately following the race."
Entry fee for the run/walk is either a new, unwrapped toy or $10. Organizers encourage runners, walkers, children, people with strollers and families to join in the downhill course on Broadway from Capaha Park to Main Street.
The run/walk will start at 4:45 p.m., with sign-up beginning at 4 p.m. at the starting location. It is estimated that participants should be able to complete the course within 15 minutes. Dry clothing will be shuttled to the finish line and can be picked up by runners post-race.
Because all proceeds go directly to the Toybox program, no t-shirts will be given out for this event. However, all those who finish the race will receive a commemorative Christmas ornament, and the Overall Male and Female racers will receive a one-year subscription to The Southeast Missourian newspaper.
In addition, first-, second- and third-place winners in all age divisions will receive recognition in the newspaper. Runners and walkers compete together in different age divisions.
For registration or other information, contact McDowell at 335-6611.