- Man accused of setting fire to Delta bar; posted photos of it burning on Facebook (9/17/17)5
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Say Cheese: The story behind the famous sandwiches at the East Perry Fair (9/22/17)
- Anne Limbaugh dies, leaves legacy of caring (9/22/17)
- Retailer may come to Jackson; rezoning needed first (9/17/17)2
- Planet Fitness to anchor Town Plaza shopping center (9/18/17)2
- Former major-league slugger Darryl Strawberry to speak at La Croix (9/20/17)
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
- Owner of Mary Jane Burgers & Brew in Perryville to open new culinary concept in Cape (9/15/17)3
Christians must stand up against this war in Iraq
To the editor:
I am so thankful that churches have gotten behind the peace coalition and are against this war in Iraq. I am ashamed at the many who say they are Christian yet despise the citizens of the Middle East, especially Iraq. I would like these people to read James 3:17-18. "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace."
In the 11 years of siege since the 1991 ceasefire of the war in Iraq, there have been over a million children, women and elderly killed in Iraq because of lack of food, medical attention, adequate water supply and disease. What do they have to do with the war or the oil that our government wants? Iraq did not even attack us, yet we have waged an 11-year siege on them. Our current leader wants to further destroy these innocent people.
I am for peace and stopping this war. I have a 20-year-old son who is planning to go to college in a year. He is a missionary teaching the Russians about God. I do not want him going to fight an illegal war. I want him to come home and achieve his goals.
Christians must stand up and say we are not sending our children or our grandchildren to fight for financial gain.