- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Eldorado Resorts to buy Isle of Capri Casinos (9/20/16)7
- Community helps Jackson family with two cases of muscular dystrophy (9/19/16)
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)7
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Man convicted of Perryville convenience-store heist (9/21/16)
Christians must stand up against this war in Iraq
To the editor:
I am so thankful that churches have gotten behind the peace coalition and are against this war in Iraq. I am ashamed at the many who say they are Christian yet despise the citizens of the Middle East, especially Iraq. I would like these people to read James 3:17-18. "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace."
In the 11 years of siege since the 1991 ceasefire of the war in Iraq, there have been over a million children, women and elderly killed in Iraq because of lack of food, medical attention, adequate water supply and disease. What do they have to do with the war or the oil that our government wants? Iraq did not even attack us, yet we have waged an 11-year siege on them. Our current leader wants to further destroy these innocent people.
I am for peace and stopping this war. I have a 20-year-old son who is planning to go to college in a year. He is a missionary teaching the Russians about God. I do not want him going to fight an illegal war. I want him to come home and achieve his goals.
Christians must stand up and say we are not sending our children or our grandchildren to fight for financial gain.