- Pilot House goes smoke-free (4/23/17)10
- Without city record, Marie Street residents on hook for thousands in sewer repairs (4/19/17)7
- Event includes the first public tour of 200-year-old Elmwood Manor (4/23/17)3
- BBB warns Jackson man's online business might not be legit (4/24/17)
- Few Southeast students face suspension, expulsion for sexual assaults, campus paper finds (4/25/17)5
- Man out on bond for alleged molestation of boys charged with abusing girl (4/18/17)
- Cape councilman Bob Fox to run for mayor (4/21/17)5
- Woman battered after smashing boyfriend's meth pipe against wall, police say (4/25/17)
- Deputy: Man kicked, broke uncle's ribs after yard-work dispute (4/19/17)
- Sikeston man charged in shooting death of Cape man (4/23/17)
Christians must stand up against this war in Iraq
To the editor:
I am so thankful that churches have gotten behind the peace coalition and are against this war in Iraq. I am ashamed at the many who say they are Christian yet despise the citizens of the Middle East, especially Iraq. I would like these people to read James 3:17-18. "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace."
In the 11 years of siege since the 1991 ceasefire of the war in Iraq, there have been over a million children, women and elderly killed in Iraq because of lack of food, medical attention, adequate water supply and disease. What do they have to do with the war or the oil that our government wants? Iraq did not even attack us, yet we have waged an 11-year siege on them. Our current leader wants to further destroy these innocent people.
I am for peace and stopping this war. I have a 20-year-old son who is planning to go to college in a year. He is a missionary teaching the Russians about God. I do not want him going to fight an illegal war. I want him to come home and achieve his goals.
Christians must stand up and say we are not sending our children or our grandchildren to fight for financial gain.