- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)4
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Witness says he saw man shoot Domorlo McCaster (8/19/16)2
- Southeast imposes 'interim suspension' of Sigma Nu fraternity over vandalism incident (8/19/16)22
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Pitmasters to descend on Arena Park for Cape BBQ Fest (8/19/16)2
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- Gender-neutral restrooms now available at Southeast (8/18/16)38
Cape Girardeau jogger hears racial slurs
To the editor:
I'm the Colorado-based caller who was responded to in Speak Out. Let me remind you that I'm an American citizen. My family sought political asylum when I was 3 years old.
The Speak Out caller mentioned racial profiling. I'm a proponent of racial profiling. What I'm not in favor of is being degraded and jeered at while jogging through the fine city of Cape Girardeau.
I've recently purchased real estate in Cape Girardeau. Not only do I contribute to the financial prosperity through the city's restaurant and hotel tax, I'm paying real estate and school taxes. In my opinion, that gives me a vested interest in the way Cape Girardeau appears to visitors and residents alike.
I don't appreciate having racial slurs screamed at me while I'm enjoying a jog through the university or when walking through the mall.