- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
First Baptist has vision as church of 21st century
To the editor:
A number of people have heard of possible changes here at the First Baptist Church of Cape Girardeau. I would like to elucidate some of our development details for the community.
On Oct. 27, during a called church conference, we voted to pursue the sale of our church campus and to relocate. We took this action not out of financial difficulty, but as a step in faith. We feel led to exercise innovative options. We want to be broader and more flexible for the generations ahead. We are truly seeking God's leadership and have a desire to do his kingdom's work.
It is a challenge not only of imagination but also of letting go of familiar surroundings and habits. I think we are demonstrating a fresh spiritual interest in doing ministry rather than focusing on the past or on material things.
We are on a new journey, a bright, progressive, cooperative and comprehensive sense of mission. We hope to be a new type of church for this 21st century, a church of transformation. Our dream is of a new future formed by our faith in the Lord of new beginnings.
At present we have not sold our buildings nor purchased other properties. We are only in the visioning stage.
The Rev. J.L. WHITE
First Baptist Church