- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Statutory rape charge filed against Cape man
A Cape Girardeau man was arrested and charged Thursday with first-degree statutory rape for allegedly having sexual intercourse with a girl under 14 years of age.
Johnnie L. Martin Jr., 22, of Cape Girardeau, remains in custody in lieu of $50,000 bond at the Cape Girardeau County Jail.
The girl allegedly came to Martin's home at 913 S. Ranney on Nov. 9 and asked him if he wanted to have sex, which the two preceded to do, said patrolman Richard Couch in a probable cause statement. When interrogated by police, Martin confessed to having sex with the girl, Couch said.
If convicted, the felony carries a sentence of five years to life in prison.
Martin's next appearance in court is set for 11 a.m. Nov. 21.