- Cape businessman known for starting NARS dies at 49 (2/23/17)9
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)7
- Japanese restaurant up and running; owner surprised by fondness of sushi here (2/24/17)1
- SoutheastHEALTH, Washington University School of Medicine announce collaboration (2/24/17)21
- Missouri bill would limit transgender school bathroom access (2/22/17)48
- City issues precautionary boil order near Arena Park (2/23/17)
- Annual father-daughter dance provides some fun bonding time (2/19/17)1
- $22M bond issue would alter Jackson schools (2/22/17)13
- Former KFVS12 reporter talks about recovery from eating disorder (2/23/17)11
Two killed in collapse of parking garage
ROCKVILLE, Md. -- Part of a parking garage under construction collapsed Friday, killing at least two workers, injuring another and leaving a fourth missing, fire officials said.
Concerns about an additional collapse prompted the evacuation of surrounding buildings, said Pete Piringer, a fire department spokesman.
Derek Baliles, a police spokesman, said a no-fly zone had been established over the area because authorities don't want helicopters to get caught in the dust flying up or create down drafts that might cause more instability below, he said.
Initial searches failed to locate the missing worker.
The injured worker was taken to an area hospital; the worker's condition was not immediately known. All others at the scene are believed to have been accounted for, Piringer said.
About 15 workers were at the site at the time of the collapse.