- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)5
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)3
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)33
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
- Cape woman hopes son's death in Chattanooga will lead to better policing (11/30/16)11
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
Speak Out A 11/09/02
I JUST read where somebody is griping about Highway 25 south of Jackson. If you really want to see a good road that has just been repaired, travel County Road 620 in Cape Girardeau County. It is wonderful.
I DON'T see why when you have surgery in this town it is impossible to get in touch with your surgeon for a question or two afterwards and have to suffer at the hands of a rude office worker. St. Louis and Memphis are not very far away and doctors there no doubt would be glad to take patients and treat them like human beings.
The negative side
I SEE where the Fed is talking about lowering interest rates again. It's a shame what they're doing to people's life savings and how little we draw on our CDs and savings bonds.
Wishing the best
REGARDING THE news of the guardsmen leaving for Bosnia in January. Good luck to you all. May God be with each and every one of you. No one can make you feel low. You all are proudly serving our country. Good luck, Andy, from your longtime next-door friend.
THAT WAS an interesting editorial about the pledge-drive alternative for PBS. I have another suggestion that would not only lessen, but end the need for pledge drives: Abolish PBS.
THE REASON gravel is being used instead of blacktop on County Road 351 is to build character and strengthen motivation. Gravel toughens the will of drivers who start sliding down steep hills. As a result, they become more determined and better people. It's like the moral to the story, "The Little Engine That Could."
I WISH politicians had to abide by the no-call law.
Selling to Cuba
WOULD THE farm produce sold to Cuba have to be subsidized by U.S. taxpayers to make up the difference between what Cubans could pay for the produce and what that same produce brings in America? Or would America's price for produce increase to compensate for the low price Cubans can pay?
I'M A senior, and I'm so disgusted with many senior citizens wanting more and more every time they open their mouths. They don't even mention saddling our young people with a huge deficit. It's like they're owed this. A fair benefit is compassionate and expected, but we have the same whining every election, voting for the highest bidder. It's a disgrace and just plan greed. They never want to know where their old-age welfare is coming from. It's out of the pockets and the mouths of others.
I DON'T think people move to Jackson just to take school field trips. That's just part of the whole package that makes the Jackson schools perceived as better by some. The time my child went, parents were invited. It was very educational, and I'm glad my child had that opportunity. If anything, the trips can be improved on.