- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Arnold J. Schaefer, 83, died Monday, Nov. 4, 2002, at Jackson Manor Nursing Home.
He was born Feb. 20, 1919, at Oran, Mo., son of Lawrence and Mathilda Bullinger Schaefer. He and Christine Weissmueller were married May 30, 1941.
Schaefer was a truck driver many years with Potashnick Construction, retiring in 1984. He was a member of Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, Altenthal-Joerns American Legion Post 158 in Jackson, and VFW Post 3838 in Cape Girardeau.
He served in the U.S. Army from June 1942 through February 1946.
Survivors include his wife; two sons, Leroy Schaefer of St. Louis, Harold Schaefer of Millersville; a daughter, LaVerne Timke of Pekin, Ill.; a brother, Roy Schaefer of Washington, Ill.; three sisters, Frieda Scheffer and Dora Koehler of Jackson, Rose Bogus of Benton, Mo.; six grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by four brothers.
Friends may call at McCombs Funeral Home in Jackson from 4 to 8 p.m. today. An American Legion service will be held at 7 p.m., followed by parish prayers at 7:30.
Funeral Mass will be at 10:15 a.m. Wednesday at Immaculate Conception Church. Msgr. Edward Eftink will officiate. Burial will be in Russell Heights Cemetery, with a graveside military honor service.