- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Tigers pound Knights; Jackson eliminated
Cape Girardeau Central's top-seeded boys' soccer team moved into the championship game of the Class 3, District 1 Tournament with a 10-0 win over fourth-seeded Farmington Monday in Poplar Bluff.
Monday's other game saw second-seeded Poplar Bluff upend third-seeded Jackson in a penalty-kick shootout after the squads ended regulation tied 2-2.
Central (15-6-1) and Poplar Bluff (18-5-1) will square off at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday for the district title.
Heath Orr scored two goals for Central to set the school single-season goals record. Whit Lynn and Aaron Bornstein also netted two goals apiece. Grant Hengst, Chad Proffer, Luke Kester and Devon Edmonds also scored for the Tigers.
Assists went to Orr and Calen Wills with two each, while Lynn, Bornstein, Hengst, Proffer,Trey Willis and Chris Limbaugh all had one.
Jackson (6-15-1) held a 2-0 halftime lead on goals by Brett Laforest and Mitchell Casteel. Poplar Bluff rallied with two goals in the final 11 minutes of regulation, scoring the tying goal with just 3:22 remaining.
The teams played four 10-minute sudden-death overtime periods without a goal. Poplar Bluff then scored three times to Jackson's one in the shootout.
Class 2, District 1
Top-seeded Notre Dame and No. 2 St. Pius both won tournament semifinal games at Notre Dame to set up Wednesday's 7 p.m. title contest.
Notre Dame (16-5) routed No. 4 Windsor 10-0 and St. Pius edged No. 3 Hillsboro 1-0.
Adam Prasanphanich and Frankie Ellis both scored two goals for the Bulldogs while Blake Urhahan, Jeff Brosey, Josh Essner, Jonathan Market, Jason Delgado and Brendan McMeel all added one.
Urhahn, Market, Prasanphanich, Delgado and Dee Goodin recorded assists.
Pecaut named MVP
Postseason awards were dished out in the Jefferson County Conference with Perryville's Lisa Pecaut named large school division MVP.
Pecaut was also named to the all-conference first team. Perryville's Casey Moll was named all-conference honorable mention.
Central 8th grade falls
Central's 8th grade girls were on the wrong end of a lopsided game against Sikeston.
Courtney Schuessler scored 15 points in Central's 51-28 loss. Lindsey Greene chipped in seven. Central fell to 1-4.
Central's B team won 33-21.--From staff reports