- Sikeston singer moves on with 'The Voice' (10/16/17)
- Past Rowdy the Redhawk mascot's identity revealed (10/15/17)
- College algebra to be removed from Southeast required curriculum (10/10/17)1
- Cancer will 'change your life, but it doesn't have to rule it' (10/8/17)
- Police chief, council: Cape Girardeau faces growing gun violence (10/17/17)4
- Developer asks court to OK tax district board for improvements near Hobby Lobby (10/17/17)4
- Bills addressing equal child custody to be filed, legislators say (10/13/17)
- Cape Christian School burglarized (10/18/17)
- The last person to be laid to rest at Old Lorimier Cemetery: Mary Russell Fox (10/17/17)2
- Load shift kills Jackson trucker (10/17/17)
Danes are facing criticism in arrest of Chechen rebel
COPENHAGEN, Denmark -- Russia sought the extradition Thursday of a Chechen rebel envoy accused of planning last week's deadly hostage crisis, as the Danish government faced criticism for bowing to diplomatic pressure.
Akhmed Zakayev, a top aide of Chechen separatist leader Aslan Maskhadov, was arrested Wednesday in Copenhagen and jailed until Nov. 12 pending an investigation.
Zakayev, who often visited foreign capitals for informal consultations on the war in the breakaway Russian republic, was taken into custody just hours after the conclusion of a conference of Chechen rebels and human rights activists scheduled in the Danish capital.