- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)32
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
People on the move 10/28/02
Sterrett wins executive of the year award
Dr. Jack L. Sterrett has been awarded the 2002 Executive of the Year Award by the Girardot Chapter of the International Association of Administrative Professionals, a not-for-profit professional association with 40,000 members and affiliates and 700 chapters worldwide.
Sterrett is the chairman of the Department of Marketing and director of the Center for Entrepreneurial Studies and Small Business Management at Southeast Missouri State University.
Marie Steinhoff, Sterrett's administrative assistant, presented the award at the annual Executive Recognition Banquet held at the Drury Lodge on Oct. 15. B.J. Smith, head coach of women's basketball at the university, was the keynote speaker at the event.
Thomas completes estate workshop
Holly A. Thomas, CPA, CSEP with Schott & Van de Ven, Certified Public Accountants recently completed a workshop on Estate Documents. The workshop presented complex topics involved with estate planning. Trusts, wills, deduction provisions and estate tax consequences were covered. Thomas earned the designation of certified specialist in estate planning in 2000.
Thomas is a member of the Missouri Society of CPAs. She graduated summa cum laude from Southeast Missouri State University.
Kempf awarded travel industry's Top Dog Award
Carolyn Kempf, president of Elite Travel Inc. and Cruises, was awarded MLT Vacations' "Top Dog Award," in Honolulu. In order to receive the "Top Dog Award," agents must excel in MLT destination knowledge, customer service and sales. MLT specializes in vacation packages to Hawaii, Jamaica, Cancun, Las Vegas and the Dominican Republic.
Keaveny joins Big River Telephone
Kevin Keaveny has joined the Big River Telephone as vice president of network operations. Keaveny comes to the Cape Girardeau-based company with many years of telecommunications experience. Before joining Big River, Kevin was at Nuvox Communications in St. Louis and Brooks Fiber Properties.
Big River Telephone operates a regional fixed wireless network that delivers local, long distance, data and Internet services to Southeast Missouri, Southern Illinois and Western Kentucky.
Kies receives LASIK certification
Richard L. Kies, M.D., recently received the American Board of Eye Surgery certification in LASIK.
Doctors certified by ABES are required to meet specific application requirements, including certification by the American Board of Ophthalmology or the American Osteopathic Board of Ophthalmology, which comprehensively test their verbal and written knowledge. Continuing education is also required as well as recertification every seven years.
Kies was also certified by ABES in cataract/implant surgery in 1990 and recertified in 1997.
-- From staff reports