- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Area Wide United Way campaign at 38 percent of goal
With the 49th annual Area Wide United Way campaign under way, more than $340,000 of the $895,000 goal has been committed in pledges, which represents 38 percent of the goal.
Many employee groups are in the midst of running their campaign, and those that are complete have shown an increase in overall and per capita giving. Recent successful employee campaigns include the Cape Girardeau, Jackson and Scott City schools, which together raised a total of $35,798.16. St. Francis Medical Center raised $84,755, an increase of 3 percent over last year's campaign. Capaha Bank increased its employee campaign from $1,542 to $2,005, and the Bank of Missouri increased 6 percent to $2,553.
Other employee campaigns have conducted special events. Blue Cross Blue Shield auctioned off 16 specialty baskets and raised more than $10,000 for the United Way. SBC Southwestern Bell sold Krispy Kreme donuts on two separate occasions.
This year's contributions will be used to fund 44 programs within 31 local agencies.
More than 150 volunteers are involved in the Area Wide United Way 2002 Campaign.
To make a contribution to the United Way campaign, call the local office at 334-9634, visit its Web site at www. areawideunitedway.org, or mail your pledge to 1858 Broadway, Cape Girardeau, Mo. 63701.