- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)39
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)5
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Dorothy Lee Nilsen, 89, of Cape Girardeau died Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2002, at the Lutheran Home.
She was born Jan. 5, 1913, in Piggott, Ark., daughter of Henry and Cora Perkins Nicolaides. She and Wedel D. Nilsen were married Dec. 21, 1952, in Elmhurst, Ill.
Nilsen received a bachelor of science degree from Southern Illinois University-Carbondale. She was a teacher 35 years at Elmhurst and Mounds, Ill., schools and wrote teachers manuals used in elementary schools throughout the United States. She was recognized for her teaching contributions by the state of Illinois in 1973.
She was a member of St. Mark Lutheran Church.
Survivors include her husband; four sisters, Pauline Green and Helen Roberts of Cape Girardeau, Virginia Dapkus of Highland, Ill., and Joyce Wallace of Sarasota, Fla.
She was preceded in death by five brothers.
There is no visitation or service.
Ford and Sons Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.