- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
ANNA, Ill. -- Mary Harper, 103, of Murphysboro, Ill., formerly of Anna, died Thursday, Oct. 17, 2002, at the home of a daughter.
She was born Feb. 25, 1899, in West Frankfort, Ill., daughter of John A. and Sara Peek Baker. She and Walter Preston Harper Jr. were married Jan. 5, 1924. He died in July 1944.
Harper was secretary for the Anna-Jonesboro Chamber of Commerce and American Red Cross more than 25 years. She was a member of the United Methodist Church and Townsend F. Dodd American Legion Auxiliary in Anna.
Survivors include a daughter, Sarah Mitchell of Murphysboro; two grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by two grandsons, four brothers, and two infant sisters.
Friends may call at Crain Funeral Home in Anna from noon until service time Sunday.
The funeral will be at 2 p.m. Sunday at the funeral home, with the Rev. Robin Lyons officiating. Burial will be in Anna Cemetery.