- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)5
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)1
Delta to cut 7,000-8,000 more jobs
ATLANTA -- Delta Air Lines said Thursday it is eliminating 7,000 to 8,000 more jobs to try to stem dramatic financial losses blamed on Sept. 11 and the sluggish economy.
Earlier this week, the airline reported a $326 million loss in the last quarter and said it did not see any improvement anytime soon.
The cutbacks bring Delta's work force down to 61,500. The airline has eliminated 21,000 jobs, or about 25 percent of its work force, since the terrorist attacks.
Delta said the cutbacks will include management and will be accomplished through early retirement, other forms of voluntary leave and, if necessary, layoffs.