Central picks up its third shutout over rival Jackson

Friday, October 18, 2002

Another Central-Jackson boys' soccer clash, another Tiger win.

For the third time this season Central (14-5-1) blanked the Indians (5-12-1) in the county rivalry Thursday at Jackson. After a tight first half that saw the Indians trail only 1-0, Jackson never could get anything going on in the second half and fell 3-0.

"We had three golden opportunities to score and we just didn't finish," Jackson coach Zack Walton said.

The game got off to a rocky start with three yellow cards dished out in the first 30 minutes. Both teams settled in as the game went on.

For Central it was an unlikely source that got the scoring started. Rob Petzoldt came off the bench in the first half to put in a booming shot from well outside the box with less than 10 minutes to go in the half.

Coach Tom Doyle said his team is starting to put itself in place to meet its season goals.

"We're 5-1 in the conference," he said. "We'd like to be 7-1. That means we're conference champs."

With the speedy Stuart Knowlan up top, Jackson put together several good scoring chances but never seriously tested Central goalie Aaron Meystedt.

Central put the game out of reach midway through the second half on a free kick goal by junior Grant Hengst. Hengst used the wall as a screen, and Indian goalie Austin McDowell didn't pick up the ball until it was too late.

Hengst said an early movement by the goalie helped give him the edge he needed.

"I was looking up and I saw the keeper shifting over before I kicked it," he said.

Hengst's strong game continued with a pinpoint cross to Lucas Kester, who put in the third and final goal. Hengst's goal and assist put him at six goals and eight assists for the season.

Despite a sluggish opening half, Central collected itself in the second half and played its typical possession game. With Jackson in its defensive formation, Central controlled the possession throughout the game.

Hengst said he was pleased with his team's strong showing in the second half.

"The first half, we didn't play our game," he said. "Then we stepped it up in the second half and got the job done."


335-6611, extension 171

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: