- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
PERRYVILLE, Mo. -- Franklin P. "Dutch" Schmidt, 75, of Perryville died Friday, Oct. 4, 2002, at the Perry County Nursing Home.
He was born May 15, 1927, in Granite City, Ill., son of Martin and Marie Brown Schmidt. He and Zita Schrenk were married Sept. 5, 1949, in Perryville.
Schmidt was a heavy-equipment operator for Fabrick Tractor Company for 20 years. He served as Perry County sheriff from 1981 to 1993. He was a veteran of the U.S. Army. He was also a member of the American Legion and Amvets. He was a member of the St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church in Perryville.
Survivors include his wife; three sons, Michael Schmidt, Mark "Pete" Schmidt and Ronald Schmidt, all of Perryville; three daughters, Janet Miller, Karen Schindler and Terry Mattingly, all of Perryville; and two sisters, Dorothy Traut and Rosemarie Schmidt, both of Perryville.
He was preceded in death by one brother.
Friends may call from 4 to 9 p.m. on Monday and from 6:30 to 10 a.m. Tuesday at Miller Family Funeral Home in Perryville. A VFW service will be at 7 p.m. Monday.
The funeral will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday at the funeral home, with the Rev. Kevin Fausz officiating. Burial will be in Mount Hope Cemetery with graveside military honors by the American Legion.