- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)23
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
John Gifford Jr.
EAST PRAIRIE, Mo. -- John L. Gifford Jr., 77, of East Prairie died Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2002, at St. Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau.
He was born Nov. 7, 1924, in Tomato, Ark., son of John L. and Sarah McGaugh Gifford. He and Reva D. Calhoun were married June 30, 1959.
Gifford lived in East Prairie most of his life and was a retired farmer. He was a member of St. James General Baptist Church.
Survivors include his wife; two sons, John Gifford III of East Prairie, Daniel Gifford of Marble Hill, Mo.; a daughter, Shirley Watson of Kelso, Mo.; two stepsons, William Weatherford of Santa Fe, Texas, Thomas Weatherford of Collierville, Tenn.; a stepdaughter, Patricia Fowler of San Angelo, Texas; nine grandchildren; 10 stepgrandchildren; a great-grandchild; and four great-stepgrandchildren.
He was preceded in death by a daughter, stepdaughter, two sisters and a brother.
Friends may call at Shelby Funeral Home in East Prairie after 5 p.m. today.
The funeral will be at 2 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home, with David Dowdy and Burl Britt officiating. Burial will be in East Prairie Memorial Park Cemetery.