- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)30
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)8
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
'Understanding' evil only allows it to flourish
To the editor:
I was shocked when I read the letter from a local teacher who advocated "understanding" terrorists. I respect Adam M. Cox's idealism, but he is absolutely wrong. It is clear that terrorists do not wish for peace through "understanding."
Terrorists see a world in which democracy is taking hold. This threatens their ideal of an Islamic government ruled by terror. Terrorists see democracy as a threat to their way of life. Their model government is Iraq. Saddam Hussein seeks the total destruction of Israel and the United States. It has been reported that he is close to obtaining enough uranium to create a nuclear bomb that he can unleash on the United States.
Saddam has had 11 years to comply with United Nations mandates that ordered him to allow U.N. weapons inspectors in. Each time Saddam has thumbed his nose at the United Nations. Our government's policy of regime change in Iraq is not a "thirst for blood," as Cox would say, but rather a policy of preventing another Sept. 11.
If we teach our children to "understand" when evil attempts to destroy us, we are allowing evil to flourish. My hope is that our teachers will understand this and teach our children correctly. I think Cox has a good heart, but he needs to realize that we have enemies who do not want peace -- enemies who seek to wipe us off the face of the earth like Hitler tried to do with the Jews.