- Compliance check results in underage citations at four Cape bars (7/19/17)1
- Former Sikeston DPS director denies knowing about allegations against detective (7/20/17)1
- 49-year-old homicide victim found in Cape (7/20/17)
- Lying police? Missing files, lost evidence: Newspaper investigation reveals glaring details in David Robinson case (7/16/17)3
- Buffalo Wild Wings to hold fundraiser Wednesday for ailing Cape officer (7/19/17)1
- Isle Casino to host wide-ranging career fair Wednesday (7/16/17)
- At least one Perryville cop disciplined for misconduct (7/20/17)1
- Sikeston detective's files about murder suspect missing from DPS (7/18/17)1
- More details emerge in Perryville police-misconduct case (7/21/17)
- Witnesses make claims of officer corruption in Box/Robinson case (7/17/17)1
Liberia lifts state of emergency
MONROVIA, Liberia -- President Charles Taylor lifted the state of emergency he imposed eight months ago, declaring Saturday that the rebel insurrection against his government had been all but crushed.
Taylor made the announcement in a nationally broadcast speech in which he also ended a ban on political rallies, imposed earlier this year as the 2003 presidential elections drew near.
The Liberian leader cited recent successes by government troops, including the retaking of the strategic northwest town of Bopolu on Wednesday.
"All areas previously occupied by the rebels have been liberated," Taylor said.