- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Commission gives approval to agenda items
The Cape Girardeau Planning and Zoning Commission met Wednesday night, unanimously approved six items on its agenda.
The commission observed the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks by saying the Pledge of Allegiance and having a moment of silence.
The commission took the following action, all of which will require Cape Girardeau City Council approval:
The commission approved a special-use permit for David and Patsy Alexander to operate a dog grooming business at 705 Broadway, the former location of Hot Wheels.
The location of Birthright of Cape Girardeau, Inc., a counseling and support center for expecting mothers, will be re-zoned from R-1, single family residential district, to C-1, local commercial district, if the council approves. Much of the surrounding property is already zoned C-1.
The commission also granted a special-use permit for a large daycare facility at 825 South Ellis St. in an R-3, two-family residential district. Since the building has a commercial designation and has been the location of a daycare for many years, the commission OKd the use of the building for more than 10 children. Homes in residential districts are not allowed to have more than 10.
Terry William and Kim Kurka McDowell's property at 141 S. Louisiana will be rezoned from R-2 to R-3. They were also granted a special-use permit to operate a small bed and breakfast establishment.
The commission granted the request of Aaron's Properties, LLC to rezone 2031 Cape La Croix Road (Lots 5, 6 and 7 of the Route W Commercial Center) from R-1, single family residential district, to C-1.
The commission approved a preliminary plat of Rock Creek Meadows Subdivision.