- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
Marine sentenced for bilking money
SAN DIEGO -- A Marine Corps major was sentenced to five years in military prison for plotting to use credit cards to steal $400,000 from the government.
Maj. Darryl Phillips was also dismissed from the Corps on Friday and fined $400,000 after being convicted by a military jury a day earlier.
Phillips had faced up to 60 years in prison, and his sentence was less than the 15-year minimum sought by Marine Corps prosecutors. But the 10-member jury of officers at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar effectively stripped Phillips, a former supply officer, of his retirement pay and benefits after a 22-year career.