- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Military news 8/22/02
Stearns completes Small Arms Repair Course
JACKSON, Mo. -- Marine Corps Pfc. William T. Stearns, son of Judy and Rodney Smith, and Bill and Sara Stearns, all of Jackson, recently completed the Small Arms Repair Course at the U.S. Army's Proving Ground in Aberdeen, Md.
During the course, Stearns learned how to operate, inspect, maintain and repair rifles, pistols, shotguns, submachine guns, grenade launchers, mortars and other automatic weapons. Stearns also studied how to prepare weapons for shipments and storage, and related safety precautions.
Stearns graduated first in his class and earned a meritorious promotion from private first class to lance corporal. Stearns will now be stationed at Marine Corps Air Base in Beaufort, S.C., where he will be attached to Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 312 as its armorer.
Stearns is a 2000 graduate of Jackson High School.
Statler graduates from basic training
SCOTT CITY, Mo. -- Air Force Airman Crystal G. Statler recently graduated from basic military training at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas.
During her six weeks of training, Statler studied the Air Force mission, organization and customs; performed drill and ceremony marches; and received physical and special training in human relations.
Airmen who complete basic training earn credits toward an associate degree through the Community College of the Air Force.
Statler is the daughter of Sandra Whitmore and Jerry Robison of Scott City. She is a 2002 graduate of Scott City High School.
English takes command of medical group
DOVER, Del. -- Col. William English, native of Cape Girardeau and son of William and Evelyn English of Cape Girardeau, recently took command of the 436th Medical Group at Dover Air Force Base.
English comes to the Eagle Wing from Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, where he served as commander of the 354th MDG.
He is a graduate of Cape Central High School and holds a bachelor of science degree in biology and chemistry from Southeast Missouri State University.
He is also a graduate of the Kansas School of Dentistry from the University of Missouri; member of the American Dental Association and Associate of Military Surgeons of the United States.
Some of English's previous assignments have taken him to Clark Air Base, Republic of the Philippines; Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB, Texas; United States Air Force Academy, Colorado; the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.; and Hurlburt Field, Fla.-- From staff reports