- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Local dancers win national competition
Sixteen dancers from the Academy of Dance Arts in Cape Girardeau took home top awards at the Footloose National Competition in Kansas City recently.
The girls, ranging in age from 13 to 18, performed a tap production number from the Will Rogers Follies entitled "Our Favorite Son." This was one of 250 dances performed during the weekend. The dance number received the high score for Senior Large Groups in the "Last Dance" event, as well as the top overall high score for the entire competition.
The girls qualified for national competition by receiving the overall high score at the St. Louis regional contest in May.
The Kansas City event was one of four national competitions, with others being held in Las Vegas, Chicago and Orlando.
The dancers are under the direction of Kara Finley, who also choreographed the winning number.
The studio received a cash prize in addition to a gift certificate to cover the costs of attending next year's Footloose Regionals.