- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Cape woman killed in crash
A Cape Girardeau resident was killed early Tuesday in a crash at 609 N. Mount Auburn Road.
Leslie Rae McKenzie, 42, died after her Kia Sportage struck a tree at 7:43 a.m. The investigation into the accident has shown she was driving northbound on Mount Auburn and may have first driven off the right side of the road, overcorrected and then went off the other side of the road where she crashed, said Cape patrolman Jason Selzer.
The victim was partially ejected from the vehicle. Police said she was not wearing a seat belt and was the only occupant of the vehicle.
McKenzie, a mother of three sons, was a registered nurse and a night supervisor at the Missouri Veterans Home in Cape Girardeau. She had been employed there since February, said administrator Sam McVay.
"Our veterans home family is just devastated," McVay said. "She was a lovely lady, and our staff and residents are in shock. We're going to miss her terribly."
Family members said funeral arrangements have not been made at this time.