- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Evelyn Layton, 77, of Cape Girardeau died Friday, Aug. 16, 2002, at St. Francis Medical Center.
She was born Feb. 14, 1925, at Crowder, Mo., daughter of Albert G. and Effie Paige Norman. She and Alfred Raymond Layton were married Sept. 22, 1945, in Sikeston, Mo. He died Aug. 31, 1969.
Layton worked 10 years in housekeeping at Holiday Inn, retiring in 1988. She was a member of Church of Christ.
Survivors include a son, Ray Layton of Santa Monica, Calif.; two daughters, Sheila Wells of St. Peters, Mo., and Teresa Huber of Louisville, Ky.; and three grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her parents, two brothers and a sister.
Friends may call at Ford and Sons Mount Auburn Funeral Home from 4 to 8 p.m. Sunday.
The funeral will be at 10 a.m. Monday at the funeral home. The Rev. David Bragg will officiate. Burial will be in St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery.