- Waller deemed competent to stand trial (1/11/17)5
- Young Elvis impersonator from Bernie performs on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' (1/12/17)
- 113 drug tests at Jackson High net one instance of illicit usage (1/11/17)14
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)7
- Two men shot after argument; houses also struck by bullets (1/12/17)21
- Imo's Pizza will be added to Rhodes 101 convenience store in Jackson (1/10/17)16
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)13
- Juvenile accused of stealing, damaging playground statue (1/9/17)25
- Two Cape men recovering after shooting (1/13/17)
- Business notebook: Faithfully Fed aims for more than just food (1/9/17)4
Back to school means time for safety
Cape Girardeau, Jackson and the surrounding area seem to spring to life this time of year.
The stores are packed with parents and kids picking up the last of the school supplies and new blue jeans and sneakers. Teachers are returning to their classrooms, sprucing things up for the coming year.
And the Southeast Missouri State University students are back, giving a youthful shot in the arm to our community.
It's fun to experience the excitement at this time of year, but we have to make especially sure nothing happens to dampen our enthusiasm.
As Southeast Missouri schools go back into session, motorists should be more conscious of increased traffic and drive safely. They should keep their eyes open for students heading to school early in the morning and coming home in the afternoon.
If we all do so, it will help the school year live up to its full potential as another great one for our communities.