- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)24
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
Back to school means time for safety
Cape Girardeau, Jackson and the surrounding area seem to spring to life this time of year.
The stores are packed with parents and kids picking up the last of the school supplies and new blue jeans and sneakers. Teachers are returning to their classrooms, sprucing things up for the coming year.
And the Southeast Missouri State University students are back, giving a youthful shot in the arm to our community.
It's fun to experience the excitement at this time of year, but we have to make especially sure nothing happens to dampen our enthusiasm.
As Southeast Missouri schools go back into session, motorists should be more conscious of increased traffic and drive safely. They should keep their eyes open for students heading to school early in the morning and coming home in the afternoon.
If we all do so, it will help the school year live up to its full potential as another great one for our communities.