- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)2
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)27
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)8
- I want an angry president (06/21/16)17
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Man allegedly kicks woman, punches man after denied a sexual favor (06/23/16)
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Advance graduate will become superintendent of its schools (06/21/16)1
- Odd court hearing ends with judge declaring probable cause in abuse case (06/22/16)4
Back to school means time for safety
Cape Girardeau, Jackson and the surrounding area seem to spring to life this time of year.
The stores are packed with parents and kids picking up the last of the school supplies and new blue jeans and sneakers. Teachers are returning to their classrooms, sprucing things up for the coming year.
And the Southeast Missouri State University students are back, giving a youthful shot in the arm to our community.
It's fun to experience the excitement at this time of year, but we have to make especially sure nothing happens to dampen our enthusiasm.
As Southeast Missouri schools go back into session, motorists should be more conscious of increased traffic and drive safely. They should keep their eyes open for students heading to school early in the morning and coming home in the afternoon.
If we all do so, it will help the school year live up to its full potential as another great one for our communities.