- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
New Orleans officer shot to death by fleeing robbers at bar
NEW ORLEANS -- Three armed men robbed bar patrons then shot and killed a police officer as they fled early Sunday, police said.
Three man was arrested, and one other was being sought.
The gunmen robbed about a dozen people at Club Tango, in a low-income area 10 blocks northeast of the French Quarter, police said. A person inside the bar managed to call police at 3:23 a.m.
Five-year police veteran Christopher Russell, 35, was the first officer to arrive, along with trainee Mary Colon, who graduated from the police academy in May.
One gunman fired into their car, striking Russell in the head, police said.
"It was a policeman's worst nightmare. You pull up and people start shooting," said Sgt. Kevin Anderson, a department spokesman.
Police traced one suspect, Michael Davis, 31, to a nearby street.