- Plans in the works to save Esquire Theater on Broadway in Cape (2/21/18)2
- Man transitioning to woman killed herself in Cape City Jail in June; news comes from architect's pitch in Kansas (2/15/18)2
- Bell City arrest, Scott City incident highlight high-alert status following Fla. school shooting (2/20/18)4
- Cape Girardeau businessman proposes redevelopment project; seeks taxing district to fund improvements (2/17/18)16
- TJ's Burgers, Wings & Pizza expands with dining area in Fruitland (2/16/18)
- Pence gets it right in response to attack on Christian faith (2/17/18)9
- As February winds down, Chaffee looking forward to reopening of ice cream shop (2/21/18)1
- Scott City puts school on lockdown; officials say alleged threat 'not credible' (2/21/18)2
- The heart of the matter: Clinic helps patients rise above congestive heart failure (2/17/18)
- Local foodies share most romantic places (2/22/18)
New Orleans officer shot to death by fleeing robbers at bar
NEW ORLEANS -- Three armed men robbed bar patrons then shot and killed a police officer as they fled early Sunday, police said.
Three man was arrested, and one other was being sought.
The gunmen robbed about a dozen people at Club Tango, in a low-income area 10 blocks northeast of the French Quarter, police said. A person inside the bar managed to call police at 3:23 a.m.
Five-year police veteran Christopher Russell, 35, was the first officer to arrive, along with trainee Mary Colon, who graduated from the police academy in May.
One gunman fired into their car, striking Russell in the head, police said.
"It was a policeman's worst nightmare. You pull up and people start shooting," said Sgt. Kevin Anderson, a department spokesman.
Police traced one suspect, Michael Davis, 31, to a nearby street.