- Waller deemed competent to stand trial (1/11/17)5
- Young Elvis impersonator from Bernie performs on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' (1/12/17)
- 113 drug tests at Jackson High net one instance of illicit usage (1/11/17)14
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)4
- Two men shot after argument; houses also struck by bullets (1/12/17)21
- Imo's Pizza will be added to Rhodes 101 convenience store in Jackson (1/10/17)16
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)7
- Juvenile accused of stealing, damaging playground statue (1/9/17)25
- Two Cape men recovering after shooting (1/13/17)
- Business notebook: Faithfully Fed aims for more than just food (1/9/17)4
New Orleans officer shot to death by fleeing robbers at bar
NEW ORLEANS -- Three armed men robbed bar patrons then shot and killed a police officer as they fled early Sunday, police said.
Three man was arrested, and one other was being sought.
The gunmen robbed about a dozen people at Club Tango, in a low-income area 10 blocks northeast of the French Quarter, police said. A person inside the bar managed to call police at 3:23 a.m.
Five-year police veteran Christopher Russell, 35, was the first officer to arrive, along with trainee Mary Colon, who graduated from the police academy in May.
One gunman fired into their car, striking Russell in the head, police said.
"It was a policeman's worst nightmare. You pull up and people start shooting," said Sgt. Kevin Anderson, a department spokesman.
Police traced one suspect, Michael Davis, 31, to a nearby street.