- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)31
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Weather slows effort to raise turret of Civil War ironclad
HATTERAS, N.C. -- Strong undersea currents and shifting winds delayed an attempt Sunday to raise the 120-ton revolving gun turret of the Civil War ironclad USS Monitor.
Sixteen officers and crew members died Dec. 31, 1862, when the Union ship sank during a storm, landing upside-down in 240 feet of water. The wreckage was discovered in 1973.
Undersea currents and shifting winds delayed an operation by Navy divers, who were to put in place a heavy cable sling to lift the turret.
A crane aboard a barge moored above the Monitor wreckage 16 miles off Cape Hatteras was to then be pulled up the turret and its twin cannons.
Two- to 4-foot waves rocked the work barge, and a tug was moving its anchors, said Cmdr. Bobbie Scholley, the Navy's commander for the expedition. Once the anchors are repositioned, expedition leaders were to decide when they could raise the turret.
Scholley said the lift could take place early today.
"If we've got favorable conditions, once the barge has moved, we're going to want to take advantage of the opportunity," Scholley told reporters during a conference call from the barge.
Scholley said a storm is forecast Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday. "That could shut us down for several days," she said.
Winds were 15 to 20 mph Sunday afternoon and needed to be calmer before the lift could be made, she said.