- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)31
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Area sports digest 7/29/02
Golden keeps lead to win Parks Foundation event
Andy Golden shot a second-round 68 Sunday to finish at 135 to win the Parks Development Foundation Tournament at the Cape Girardeau Jaycees Municipal Golf Course.
Golden's 68 followed a first-day 67 that put him well ahead of the field. Bob Englehart shot a second-round 74 to pull into a tie for second with Mike Wehmeyer.
Other flight winners were Robert Jackson in B, Bub York in C, Thomas Higgins in D, Bob Estes in seniors 55-64 and George Glasscock in seniors 65 and over.
Full results, Page 2.
Poplar Bluff players in top 10 in amateur event
James Godwin of Poplar Bluff tied for fifth and Bobby Godwin of Poplar Bluff tied for eighth in the Missouri Amateur Stroke Play Championship that ended Sunday in Lake Ozark.
James Godwin shot a 77 in the third round and 73 in the fourth to finish at 295. Bobby Godwin shot a third-round 78 and fourth-round 73 to stand at 296.
Mark Allen of Jackson shot 77 in the third and 74 in the fourth to finish at 300, tied for 13th.
Heartland Nationals sweep Babe Ruth regional
Heartland Nationals teams swept the championships Sunday in the Babe Ruth Softball Midwest Plains Regional Tournament at Chaffee, Mo.
In the 14-and-under division, Heartland Nationals won 13-1 in five innings over East Central East of Colorado.
For Heartland, M. Hendrix was 3-for-3 and Miranda Schlosser 2-for-4.
Heartland's 12-and-under team defeated Heartland Americans 14-1 in a five-inning game. For Heartland National, Rachel Hendrix was 2-for-2.
Heartland Americans catcher Brittany Brantley won the tournament's Commissioner's Award.
Standridge finishes in front of ATPR sprint pack
Robbie Standridge of Springfield, Ill., won for the third time in four weeks in the sprint division Saturday night at Auto Tire and Parts Racepark near Benton, Mo.
Lee Dunn of East Prairie, Mo., made his first start this season and finished second. Steve Short of Farmington, Mo., was third.
Shawn Haynes of Malden, Mo., topped the open-wheel modified division feature with Greg Geiler of Fenton, Mo., second and Danny Sissom of Cape Girardeau third.
In pure stocks, Dietrich Bollinger of Benton took the win. He led Danny Hampton of Morley, Mo., and Patrick Naeger of Perryville, Mo., to the finish.
Full results, Page 2.
-- From staff reports