- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
George Dorris, 71, of Cape Girardeau died Wednesday, July 24, 2002, at Southeast Missouri Hospital in Cape Girardeau.
He was born March 16, 1931, in Kilmichael, Miss., the son of Hill and Stella Daniel Dorris. He married Mary Faineh Williams in May 1959, and she preceded him in death on Sept. 14, 1995.
He worked in the maintenance department of Florsheim Shoe Factory for 47 years, retiring in 1996.
Survivors include two sons, Sonny Williams of Hayti, Mo., and Robert Harris of St. Louis; three daughters, Etta Adams of Saginaw, Mich., Bea Jenkins of Detroit and Annie Oliver of Hayti; a brother, Hill Dorris of Peoria, Ill.; a sister, Katie Hines of Yazoo, Miss.; seven granddaughters who he raised, Delois Rush and Shirley Applewhite of Chicago, Kathy Edwards and Betty Edwards of Capital Heights, Md., Rosette Edwards and Earnestine Williams of St. Charles, Mo., and Martha Young of Beltsville, Md.; numerous other grandchildren and numerous great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by three sons, two daughters, a sister and two granddaughters.
Friends may call from 5 to 8 p.m. Friday at Ford & Sons Sprigg Street Funeral Home.
Funeral service will be at 1 p.m. Saturday at New Bethel Baptist Church with the Rev. Johnny Thomas officiating.
Burial will follow in Fairmount Cemetery in Cape Girardeau.