- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Out of the past 7/27/02
10 years ago: July 27, 1992
Jefferson City - Railroad grade-crossing accidents and fatalities continue to decline in Missouri, according to state railroad safety report; but number of fatalities due to trespassing on railroad property increased sharply last year and during first six months of 1992; in Missouri, 115 accidents were reported last year at public railroad grade crossings, resulting in 17 fatalities and 40 injuries.
Marble Hill - A 5-year-old boy swept downstream late Sunday night in flash flood is still missing, despite efforts of hundreds of rescue workers to find him; missing is Austin Chandler, son of Steve and Julie Chandler of Marble Hill.
25 years ago: July 27, 1977
Another delay in completion of Interstate 57 Mississippi River bridge at Cairo, Ill., looms as construction equipment workers, members of Teamsters Union, prepare for strike at midnight; strike by about 2,500 members of 13 of Illinois' 15 Teamster locals is expected to nearly paralyze construction work statewide.
Without specific public support for doing so, city council has expressed unwillingness to break with past policy and begin financing social service programs as requested by Civic Center and senior citizens group; last month at hearing on proposed use of revenue-sharing funds, senior citizens and representatives from Civic Center asked for funds.
50 years ago: July 27, 1952
Spanking new velour stage curtain in deep red tone is used for first time in evening by Hanover Lutheran Dramatic Club for its presentation of comedy, "Damsels in Distress"; Parish Hall is well filled for three-act play, several hundred people attending.
East Prairie - Parishioners of St. Mary Goretti Catholic Church break ground for new church and parish hall in afternoon; ground-breaking ceremony is performed by Msgr. John O'Neill of Sikeston, assisted by pastor, the Rev. Raymond W. Rau; parish was founded in August 1950.
75 years ago: July 27, 1927
New Madrid - Nearly 200 residents of Sikeston, New Madrid, Kewanee, Conran, Marston, Benton Lilbourn and territory adjacent to these towns met at county courthouse last night to organize Kingshighway Association; this organization will strive to obtain permanent location of Highway 61 along Kingshighway route, the present location.
City council, possibly latter part of this week, is expected to give its decision on proposal of Missouri Utilities Co. to build new water plant here; council is expected to state its decision on application by company that special election be called to submit new franchise to the people for ratification.
- Sharon K. Sanders