- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)31
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
ANNA, Ill. -- Opal Virginia Smith, 83, of Anna died Monday, July 22, 2002, at Union County Hospital.
She was born Jan. 25, 1919, in Jonesboro, Ill., daughter of Homer and Ollie Winn Brown. She first married Ellis Felker, who died Dec. 26, 1954. She later married William E. "Bill" Smith Aug. 27, 1965, in Alton, Ill. He died Dec. 19, 2001.
Smith retired from Alton State Hospital. She was a member of First Baptist Church in Jonesboro, Ill.
Survivors include a daughter, Alice Prince of Collinsville, Ill.; a brother, Louis Brown of Anna; a sister, Leta Dirden of Anna; two grandchildren; six great-grandchildren; and a great-great-grandchild.
Friends may call at Lutz and Rendleman Funeral Home in Anna after 11 a.m. Monday.
The funeral will be at 1:30 p.m. Monday at the funeral home, with the Rev. Floyd Stout officiating. Burial will be in Anna Cemetery.