- College algebra to be removed from Southeast required curriculum (10/10/17)1
- State declares test results for schools invalid (10/4/17)2
- Cape Chinese restaurant purchases old Ponderosa property in Perryville (10/10/17)
- Child-custody advocate: State law needs fix to provide parents with more equal custody (10/12/17)
- One of Cape's oldest mom-and-pop restaurants opens in new location (10/10/17)
- Cancer will 'change your life, but it doesn't have to rule it' (10/8/17)
- Ships to stay docked in Cape a week longer (10/10/17)
- Past Rowdy the Redhawk mascot's identity revealed (10/15/17)
- Bills addressing equal child custody to be filed, legislators say (10/13/17)
- Scott City council passes measures to block treatment plant project (10/10/17)1
Our prayer- To be faithful and bless God
To the editor:
Lately I've noticed area sports teams pray for specific success. A few weeks ago, I overheard on victorious team say, "God blessed us with the win." Did that mean God was not blessing the other team?
We pray "God bless America" in our war on terrorism. We also proudly promote bumper stickers with the same slogan. Does that mean when our armed forces made a successful hit on Afghanistan -- destroying military installations, neighborhoods, military personnel and civilians -- that God was on our side? Does it mean that when we lose precious American life and equipment that God is blessing the terrorists?
There is no doubt we all want God to be on our side. However, for those who claim to be God's children -- Muslim, Jew or Christian -- the issue is not whether God is blessing us, but whether we are blessing God. The issue is not whether God is on our side, but whether we are on God's side. That means placing God before all others, including self.
May our prayers never be for God to bless us alone, but that we will be faithful to bless God and to pray for God's will that we be one, as Jesus prayed: "Protect them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one, as we are one." (John 17:11)
DR. JAY WHITE
First Baptist Church